Perfect for the summer - a delicious classic when served with strawberries and sunshine.
4Eggs (Large, Whites only)
225 gramsCaster Sugar
1 teaspoonLemon Juice
1⁄2 teaspoonVanilla Essence
300 millilitersDouble Cream
1 tablespoonIcing Sugar
- Start the meringue with 4 egg whites; whisk in a large bowl until you get floppy peaks, then start adding caster sugar.
- Add 225g of caster sugar - half at a time, continue whisking.
- When you get good solid peaks it's time to add the other additional ingredients. 1 tsp Cornflower, 1 tsp lemon juice, half tsp vanilla essence.
- Stir in this ingredients gently with a metal spoon (so as to avoid disturbing the fluffy meringue).
- Using a teflon sheet instead of baking paper smooth out a sheet of meringue on a baking tray.
- Bake for 60 minutes at 140 degrees centigrade.
- Meanwhile, chop strawberries into quarters.
- Then take 290ml (half pint) of double cream and whip to stiff peaks using an electric whisk.
- When cooked allow the meringue sheet to cool completely.
- Turn out the meringue onto baking paper. On the smooth side of the meringue start with a thin layer of lemon curd, going right up to the edges.
- Then add the double cream as a layer over the top.
- Roll the meringue using the baking paper to help.
- Place on serving dish, dust with icing sugar, then surround with strawberries.
Check out the video tutorial here - http://mykitchendiaries.tv/video/lemon-meringue-roulade-video