250 gramsFlaky Pastry (or Rough Pastry)
25 gramsPlain Flour
600 gramsChuck Steak (Cubed)
100 gramsOx Kidney (Cubed)
- Mix the flour with a little salt and pepper and roll the meat in the mixture.
- Fire up a decent size saucepan and bring the fat to a high temperature.
- Brown the meat in the fat.
- Once brown add the 500ml of stock.
- Boil and simmer until the meat is tender. Depending on the size of the cubes this will take between 90 and 100 minutes.
- Pour into a large pie dish and allow to cool slowly.
- Roll the pastry so that it is about 5cm larger than the pie dish.
- Cut around your circle of pastry to remove a band about 1cm in width. Stick this ribbon around the top of the pie dish using a little cold water.
- Then place the big circle of pastry on top of this ribbon sealing the pie dish.
- Flute the edges of the lid to give a layered appearance.
- Take a sharp knife and make a small hole in the center of the pie to let steam out during cooking. You might want to apply some 'leaves' from off cuts of pasty too as decoration.
- Brush the pastry with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 220 degrees centigrade. If the pastry starts to go too dark you can protect with a circular shield of greaseproof paper and keep cooking for the full 30 minutes.